It’s my distinct pleasure to announce the the 3rd annual IJA Video Tutorial Contest! The contest, which will take place from March 1st to March 31st, 2012 looks to be the largest and most exciting tutorial contest to date!
Entrants film tutorial videos, upload them to Juggling.tv and YouTube.com, and submit them via the entry form, which will be located on the front page of the IJA eZine throughout March. Tutorial videos related to any area of juggling, manipulation, or the greater circus arts may be submitted. There is no limit on length. Entrants may submit as many quality tutorials as they would like. Anyone can enter, regardless of IJA membership status. At the end of March, videos will be evaluated by a panel of judges and the top 10 videos will be awarded prizes.
This year, we have abandoned the popular vote format, and are instituting a panel of expert, celebrity judges to select the top 10 videos entered this year. These judges represent several aspects of the diverse juggling community – performers and hobbyists, workshop leaders and video curators, toss and contact, and many areas in between. This year’s judges include:
The Void (juggling.tv)
Steve “thegoheads” Hoggan
Paul “Little Paul” Seward
Jonathan Root and Bill Berry (Team Rootberry)
Be on the lookout for more detailed introductions to your judges here on the IJA eZine throughout the month of February!
In addition to the judging panel, there will also be an popular vote to decide “People’s Choice” and contest runners-up.
While complete rules can be found here (PDF), below is a list of guidelines to consider when filming and editing your video:
2012 Video Do’s
- Do try and make a video of something not already explained in a video online. Or – if there already is a video explaining a trick online – try and make a better one! One of the aims of this contest is to increase the number and variety of tutorials available online.
- Do speak slowly and clearly if speaking in English, so that non-native speakers can easily understand you. Consider including subtitles in English and other languages – help support the international juggling community by making your video accessible!
- Do show your personality. We want to learn a trick, but we also want to be entertained!
- Do introduce yourself and the contest. This can be done through video (example: ‘Hi! My name is <name>, and this is my entry to the 3rd annual International Jugglers’ Association Video Tutorial Contest.”), by using text, or any combination of the two! Also, be sure to link to the IJA’s homepage (http://www.juggle.org) in the video’s description box!
2012 Video Don’ts
- Don’t use copyrighted music, video, or any other form of copyrighted media in your video. Entries that infringe on others’ intellectual property will not be considered.
- Don’t wait until the last minute to start filming your video. Storyboard, take your time, and thoughtfully consider all aspects of your video. The stronger your approach, the better the final product will be!
Prizes will be announced in the upcoming weeks. Last year, we had over $5,000 (MSRP) in prizes. What will this year look like? Find out soon! If your company would be interested in supporting the IJA Video Tutorial Contest by making a tax-deductible donation, contact contest director Thom Wall – email@example.com !
The IJA Video Tutorial Contest is free to everyone who wishes to participate. However, it’s not without its costs to the organization. Every year of this contest, the IJA can incur hundreds of dollars in shipping expenses, mailing prizes to winners. To offset these expenses this year, we are running a capital donation campaign. A gift will be mailed to those who donate $5 or more in support of the IJA Video Tutorial Contest! Help us keep this contest alive by your generous donations.
Donations of any amount are greatly appreciated, and all donations are tax-deductible to the fullest extent of the law! Support the Video Tutorial Contest today!
That’s it for now! Get filming, good luck, and see you in March!